Celebrating Americans: Answers to Quiz ~ Level III (60 + 5 bonus points = 65 total points)
1 - (9 pts.)
- Title of the national anthem of the U.S.A:
- Author of the lyrics:
- War that inspired these lyrics:
- Original piece of music the U.S.A anthem was based upon:
- U.S. president in office when the lyrics were written:
- Title of the Whipple / Morales arrangement:
- Term applied to unconventional performance techniques inside the piano?
- Event that inspired the duo to create the arrangement:
- U.S. president in office when the duo created their arrangement:
2 - (11 pts.)
- George Gershwins name at birth:
- Name two works that Gershwin wrote for piano and orchestra.
- Birthplace of George Gershwin:
- From which country did Gershwins parents emigrate?
- First name of George Gershwins older brother:
- Creative contribution of Georges older brother:
- Name of Gershwins great opera:
- Name of person who commissioned Gershwin to write Rhapsody in Blue?
- Percussion instruments used in the Whipple/Morales recording:
- Gershwins original works brought together which two styles of music:
3 - (6 pts.)
- Name of the composer who landed Gershwin a job at Aeolian:
- Product that Gershwin and this composer produced at Aeolian:
- What substance is the above product made of?
- Name of the wife of the composer in question:
- Name of the piece dedicated to his wife:
- What percussion device was used in the recording on the above piece?
4 - (5 pts.)
- Names of the two known composers whose work is featured in Not So Simple Gifts:
- Musical technique used to develop (and change) this piece in the middle:
- Composer whose treatment of Simple Gifts inspired the arranger:
- The event for which this arrangement was created:
- (Aside from Simple Gifts) name of the musical work directly quoted in this arrangement:
5 - (5 pts.)
- Name of the most famous composer of the Ragtime Era and his two works performed on Celebrating Americans?
- Name one of this composers two operas:
- Name of this composers most famous piece for piano:
6 - (6 pts.)
- Name the four movements of Whipples Ballet for Two Pianos:
- Who are these pieces dedicated to?
- Name one other musical term that could describe Ballet for Two Pianos:
7 - (7 pts.)
- What are the names of Vince Guaraldis two most famous instrumental pieces?
- Name of Guaraldis breakthrough recording:
- Vince Guaraldi produced music for which famous cartoonist?
- Guaraldis nickname:
- What was Guaraldis largest concert work?
- Venue or city where was it first performed:
8 - (6 pts.)
- Full title of Clarence Smiths most famous piano piece:
- Smiths middle two nicknames:
- Name or abbreviation of the concert circuit that booked Smith:
- Name of person who encouraged Smith professionally:
- How old was Smith when he passed away:
- What was the cause of his death?
9 - (Misc: 5 pts.)
- What produced the "Woodstock Effect" on Linus & Lucy ?
- Name the two "non-piano objects" placed on the piano strings to modify the sound in The Star-Spangled Banner / A Prayer For Peace.
- Profession of the lyricist of The Star Spangled Banner:
- Name two of the three piano instrumentations used by the pianists on this recording
- Celebrating Americans was recorded in one evening in which month?
10 - (BONUS: 5 pts.)
- First name of the engineer or piano technician on Celebrating Americans:
- In which piece from Celebrating Americans was a string on the piano purposefully detuned?
- Name of original work Whipple & Morales performed at their wedding:
- Name of the graphic artist whose work is featured on Celebrating Americans and other recordings by Whipple & Morales:
- Name of the musical non-profit organization directed by Whipple & Morales:
Back to Celebrating Americans Home Page